Biggest NFL and College Football Wins/Losses of all Time!
by Nyden Kovatchev on Oct 10, 2023
The NFL has seen its fair share of blowout games over the years. Blowouts occur when one team significantly outperforms and dominates the other, resulting in a lopsided final score. Here are some notable examples of some of the biggest blowouts in NFL history:
Chicago Bears vs. Washington Redskins (1940 NFL Championship Game):
- Final Score: Chicago Bears 73, Washington Redskins 0
- This remains the most lopsided game in NFL history and was the championship game for the 1940 season.
Cincinnati Bengals vs. Houston Oilers (1998):
- Final Score: Cincinnati Bengals 61, Houston Oilers 7
- This game featured a dominant performance by the Bengals, who scored 61 points.
New England Patriots vs. Tennessee Titans (2009 AFC Divisional Round):
- Final Score: New England Patriots 59, Tennessee Titans 0
- This playoff game saw the Patriots utterly dominate the Titans, leading to one of the most one-sided postseason games in NFL history.
San Francisco 49ers vs. Denver Broncos (Super Bowl XXIV, 1990):
- Final Score: San Francisco 49ers 55, Denver Broncos 10
- Super Bowl XXIV was a lopsided affair with the 49ers dominating the Broncos.
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Washington Redskins (1941):
- Final Score: Philadelphia Eagles 45, Washington Redskins 0
- Another high-scoring game that resulted in a shutout.
Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Miami Dolphins (1999):
- Final Score: Jacksonville Jaguars 62, Miami Dolphins 7
- The Jaguars had a remarkable game against the Dolphins, setting a record for points scored in a playoff game.
San Francisco 49ers vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1987):
- Final Score: San Francisco 49ers 48, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 10
- The 49ers had a commanding victory over the Buccaneers in this playoff game.
Green Bay Packers vs. Atlanta Falcons (1966 NFL Championship Game):
- Final Score: Green Bay Packers 34, Atlanta Falcons 0
- This championship game showcased the Packers' dominance.
New York Jets vs. Indianapolis Colts (1975):
- Final Score: New York Jets 45, Indianapolis Colts 3
- A significant blowout win for the Jets against the Colts.
Minnesota Vikings vs. Kansas City Chiefs (1974):
- Final Score: Minnesota Vikings 51, Kansas City Chiefs 10
- The Vikings put up a big score against the Chiefs in this game.
- Miami Dolphins vs Denver Broncos (2023)
- Final Score: Miami 70, Denver 20
Biggest College Blow out:
In the 1916 Cumberland vs. Georgia Tech football game, called "the biggest blowout in football history" by Los Angeles Times columnist Paul Aurandt in 1983, Georgia Tech defeated Cumberland College by a score of 222–0